We seem to have a lot of friends having babies lately. I wanted to take them a dinner, but most of my girlfriends have a lot of family helping them out the first couple weeks and weren't in need at the time. So I decided to take them something they could stick in the freezer and cook at a later time.
I used to think lasagna was such a daunting meal, but I have a few tricks that helped me make up 4 x the lasagna in no time.
1 pound ground beef (or turkey)
1 jar of Prego
basil
oregano
garlic salt
pepper
sugar
No Boil lasagna noodles
8 oz cottage cheese
8 oz ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella
* Brown your meat and drain the fat. Add Prego sauce and spices (I don't usually measure, but I would say 1/2 tsp garlic salt & 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of each of the others). Let it simmer for flavors to meld together. Let it set and cool as you mix together the cheeses.
* In a big bowl mix cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese in a large bowl.
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13x9 baking dish.
* Start with a little sauce on the bottom, just so it covers the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of pasta, then 1 cup of cheese mixture, and 3/4 cup to 1 cup of sauce. Start again with a layer of pasta, cheese, sauce. When I get to the top, I finish it with some sauce and the remaining mozzarella.
* Bake covered with foil for 55-60 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Because I froze mine, I bake them for an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes covered and then 10 minutes uncovered.
Hopefully this sounds easy enough that you will want to give it a try!
Here is where I'm linking up this week: